Tuesday, October 31, 2006

In God I Still Cuss

You just can't make this stuff up. Apparently this group called "Diamond Rio" is going around performing a song called "In God We Still Trust." It's high comedy. I'm sorry if you have strong religious sensibilities (sensitivities?), but it is. The number of things wrong with it...I mean, for a bunch of guys who claim to love our country, they sure don't seem to know much about it.

Example: "Now there are those among us who want to push Him out, and erase His name from everything this country's all about," accompanied by a picture of the Constitution. If they'd bothered to read that founding document of this fine nation - and hey, I'm willing to just skip over that pesky First Amendment, 'cause who's got the time and legal know-how to grasp the gist of such nuanced language as "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion" - but if they'd bothered to read all the parts that come before that, the part affectionately known as "The Constitution,"* they might have noticed the word "God" appears exactly zero times. So I'm not real sure how someone can erase his - pardon me, His - name from something He's never mentioned in.

* "There's this thing called the Constitution. It's a nagging little document, I'll grant you..."

Other cool things I learned from this video:

Flagburners hate God (figures).
Christians are a vocal minority in this country who need to "make their voices heard."
We're "one nation under Him," even though there are also "those among us** who want to push Him out." I'm so confused!

** You mean...Communists?

But for all that, it's a catchy little diddy, and that's what matters. "Heeeeerrrrree in America!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home