Sunday, October 08, 2006

Speaking of Inspector Gadget...

...I just learned that Don Adams, the voice of Inspector Gadget in, if not all, then at least many of his incarnations, died last year...ON MY BIRTHDAY. This is like having your birthday on 9/11. Yes, exactly like that. More so than Inspector Gadget, Don Adams was near and dear to my heart as the voice and face of Max Smart from Get Smart, which, interestingly enough, I used to watch on Nick at Nite duiring the same Golden Age as Inspector Gadget.

What's up with cartoon character vocabularies? Cartoon characters always use words I never hear used in real life. Like "imbecile." Imbecile this, imbecile that. "You imbeciles!" I don't think I've ever heard that word used in real life. Or "meddling." "Gadget's meddling neice meddling in my affairs." And "cursed" in its two-syllable variant. There are some others. To their credit, probably the only reason I know what "imbecile" means is from watching cartoons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home