Thursday, November 02, 2006

Subliminal, liminal, superliminal

Last night I was twice the victim of a subliminal attack. When I sat down to read the BBC, there, as a main headline, read, "US ISSUES LEBANON 'PLOT' WARNING." Give me a break. The BBC actually did a pretty mediocre job on the article, and maybe I'm just cynical, paranoid, et al, but I find it a little suspicious that just six days before the election our government releases news of a "plot" by Iran and Syria to topple the Lebanese government. To my mind this is obviously an attempt on the part of the Bushies to say, "Watch out! Terrorism is still an issue! Our enemies are still at large! Don't vote for the Democrats!" It's the timing that kills me. No one's talked about Lebanon-Hezbollah for three months now, save for an occasional "Israel begins talks with Lebanon" bit, and now all of a sudden we get reports of an Arab conspiracy to topple Lebanon? I'm not buying it.

In the Bushies' defense, I found it a little suspect that the Foley scandal broke exactly a month before the midterms. No one's been able to prove it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out someone - perhaps even with a Democratic bias - sat on the story for an opportune moment. I guess it's reprehensible for someone to let a child molester walk the halls of our capital, but if someone did sit on the story, I can't blame them. It's what I call the Rule of Six - or, in this case, the Rule of One: if it doesn't happen six (or one) months before an election, it doesn't matter. We're seeing evidence of it right now. Remember how outraged everyone was about Katrina? Now nobody gives a shit. It's not even an issue. Seriously. In fact, I've been reading articles that the citizens of New Orleans are all feeling a little pissed about that, since apparently their city's still kind of a shit-hole and they could use the national support. Voters are like women: "La donna e mobile, qual piuma al vento, muta d'accento, e di pensiero."*

* Woman is unpredictable, like a feather in the wind, she changes her voice, and her thoughts

The other subliminal assault on my pscyhe was by the New York Times, in an article about the abortion debate in South Dakota. Check out the pic:



Let's see if you can guess which one of these is the pro-lifer?** We can see here how much pro-lifers care about and value their children, and how the kiddies haven't at all overrun their lives. The politics certainly don't come off as more important than the individual. So pro-family!

** If you said, "The one on the left," give yourself a gold star. Or a condom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home