Saturday, May 05, 2007

Get the man a microphone, stat!

I was doing a little reading on Al Sharpton this morning, and stumbled upon this quote from the mid-90s: “White folks was in caves while we was building empires...We taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it.” I wasn't familiar with this, but I find it sort of funny--especially given the media's inability to surface it in the recent debate pertaining to the airing of offensive statements. Some thoughts:

1. I assume he's referring to the ancient Egyptians here. Although Egypt was on the African continent (and still is, to my knowledge), Egyptologists debate the extent to which the ancient Egyptains were truly "black."

2. By the time Egyptian culture began making serious contributions to science and the arts (following the unification of the Upper and Lower Kingdoms, circa 3100 BC) Europeans had already reached an agrarian lifestyle, hence they no longer lived in caves.

3. If I had built my career lamenting the evils of slavery, I probably wouldn't talk about how kick-ass the Egyptians were. I particularly like this one because it brings up the Jews, and intros nicely into their flowery relationship with Big Al and his ilk.*

4. If black people had a head start on mathematics and philosophy, wouldn't that make white people's ability to overtake them that much more awesome? I think it would.

5. My favorite part: he mentions astrology as a great cultural contribution. Did he maybe mean ASTRONOMY?

You can learn more about some of Al Sharpton's boneheaded statements here.

* There's a place where people go
To celebrate the Sabbath Day.
And they call it Hymietown
Or so Jesse Jackson likes to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home