Thursday, August 09, 2007

Have your steak and eat it, too

My mom sent me an article today from the New York Times. It's about women who order beef in order to impress their dates. To show she's not dainty, that she's a guy's girl. It's unclear to me if they order The Beef because they actually enjoy it or whether they do so solely to land a man, but it seems like a lot of thought has been put into a pretty benign activity. If it's a good date, I really don't care what you order. And if it's a bad date, I'm paying more attention to the price tag than which demographic of the food pyramid it covers. Settle down with that basket of dinner-rolls and I'll be happy. Now watch me eat this salmon.

The thing about the New York Times is, I feel like The Paper of Record is sometimes writing in a secret code that only the very astute will pick up on. Like if you keep your eyes open you'll be able to extract a hidden message within the text of the article, whereby the author sends a camoflauged insult at one of her subjects. For example: "It seems wimpy, insipid, childish [to order a salad]," said Michelle Heller, 34, a copy editor at TV Guide. "I don’t want to be considered vapid and uninteresting.”

Now maybe I'm reading too much into that, but I read that sentence and couldn't help but admire the notion that someone who worked at TV Guide would live with serious concerns of being labeled vapid and uninteresting. Someone who spends their life writing about TV line-ups, vapid and uninteresting? Can you imagine! That's like someone from Microsoft saying he doesn't watch Star Trek anymore because he doesn't want people to think he's nerdy. Take a look at your resume, dude.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home