Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Once in a lifetime

So I finished The Screwtape Letters and have moved on to Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris. A lot of my friends list David Sedaris as one of their favorite authors, but honestly, I've always found him to be a bit overrated. I wouldn't so much say I actually find him funny, as much as I'd say I want to find him funny. He's certainly irreverent (not to be confused with a revenant) and irreverency is supposed to = funny (again, not to be confused with a revenant, which are decidedly not funny). But reading David Sedaris a lot of times is like watching Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip: it should have been good - I wanted it so bad to be good - but it just wasn't.

That being said, I'm enjoying Dress Your Family so far. For example, "[My father] demanded and received an extended lifetime warranty on the refrigerator, meaning, I guessed, that should it leak in the year 2020, he'd return from the grave [speaking of revenants] and trade it in." An extended lifetime warranty. I like that. Sort of like when I was in sixth grade and the local 7-11 had a special going whereby you could buy one candybar for 15 cents or six for a dollar. You wouldn't believe how long it took people to figure out they were getting screwed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home