Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I say we put mustard on it!"




Today for lunch I made myself a sandwich. Turkey and cheese. I like sandwiches. No doubt. What a great invention. It really took some real out-of-the-box thinking to invent the sandwich. You and me, we've grown up with them our entire lives, so we take them for granted. But think about it. Back in the olden days, food didn't come sliced. There was no Jewish deli you could walk to. Bread came as a loaf; cheese came as a wheel, or possibly a wedge; meat came as a slab, or a hunk, or whatever. It took a guy to make the whole sliced food thing happen. Someone had to say, "You know, I like bread, and I like cheese, and I like meat. But what I'd really like is to eat them all...AT THE SAME TIME." No way, man. That's crazy talk. And it took another dude to say, "Well, what you could do is, you could stack them, one on top of the other, pretty maids all in a row, for a veritable taste explosion." Thus the sandwich was born. Same thing with peanut butter. Also delicious. But... "I really like peanuts...but I'd like them even more if they came as a paste. And with lard."


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home