Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Pardon me while I introduce this brick wall to my head

President Bush vetoed a bill that would have extended kid's health insurance to provide insurance to, you know, children who need it. Whatever. I'm on board. I say, if you wanted to have health insurance, maybe you shouldn't have been born into a family too poor to afford it. Wait, let me rephrase that. If you wanted to have health insurance, maybe you shouldn't have been born into a family too poor to afford it but too wealthy to fall under Medicaid. Isn't the POINT of Medicaid to extend health insurance to families that can't otherwise afford it? This is all very confusing for me. I'm gonna go read about Britney Spears' custody battle instead.

Remember a couple years ago when Bush did something with stem cells that required him to stand in front of the Presidential Podium with 30 stem-cell babies around him? Gosh that was moving! I was certainly moved. It was his first veto, but dammit it was worth it, because The Children = Our Future. We couldn't possibly use their discarded primordial ooze to cure Marty McFly of Alzheimer's or whatever it is he contracted, no doubt from some unprotected Hollywood sex orgy. But I must have been following the Britney Spears' custody battle too closely, because apparently something has changed since then. I guess The Children are no longer Our Future. Not the poor ones, anyway.

However, I didn't start this post to bitch about Prezzie B. I really wanted to bitch about this:


"Children had delivered petitions urging Bush not to veto the bill."

Did they now? Are we seeing here the political activist equivalent of the Showbiz Mom? Or do you think these kids are actually delivering petitions they wrote themselves, of their own volition? No, you're right, I'm sure it's the latter too, because I bet eight-year-old Tammy here (or is that a dude?) is not only well-versed in the State Children's Health Insurance Program (the SCHIP to her), but is also SO PASSIONATE about it's expansion (she dismisses concerns of socialized medicine as essentially a weak excuse for moral apathy, you see) that she begged her mother to let her miss school so she could personally deliver her petition to the White House gates. In a red wagon, no less! Thankfully she already owned one for her New York Times paper route. Look, I don't like when kids are reduced to a prop to promote a conservative agenda, and I don't like when they're used to promote a liberal one, either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home