Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Worst Week Ever?

This is probably the Week From Hell for me. The Minnesota Board of Law Examiners mails us our bar results on Friday (I guess they want to avoid a case of the Mondays?), so this week will be spent largely trying not to agonize about that. I think I probably failed. No, yeah, I probably did. I know everyone says that. The kids who were on Law Review and graduated with 4.0s say that. But I seriously think I failed. If I passed, it’ll be by just barely.* That doesn’t really upset me. My professional future (for now, at least) doesn’t depend on me passing the bar. It’s the prospect of being a failure. Because we were running out of things for me to fail at, so I’m really glad we’ve managed to stumble upon something new. And the shame. My God, the shame!

The good part of taking the bar was that it sort of reinforced my decision to avoid legal practice. Everyone’s been telling me they think I’d make a good lawyer. The law school has you take a personality test, and even IT said I’d make a good lawyer. My career services guy was like, “Well, I know you said you don’t want to be a lawyer, but I’m looking at your test results here, and they’re saying you should be one.” I don’t know anything about that, dude. But I do know I’ve struggled with every hoop I’ve had to jump through thus far. LSAT, law school, bar exam. Seems to me that should be telling me something. You’ll read some essays that say those three hoops in particular have no bearing with the practice of law. I guess that’s supposed to make me feel better. But it really makes me feel worse. It makes me angry. You have to wonder what kind of a bonehead profession would use a litmus test that isn’t related to its practice. That’s taking a pretty laissez-faire attitude towards your own stupidity.

* TOBY: What was the final margin?
KAREN: 127 votes.
TOBY: A hundred and twenty-seven.
KAREN: That's about 12 lawn signs.
TOBY: Wasn't your last election also...?
KAREN: Eighty-two votes.
TOBY: The President says all you need is one, the rest are for ego.
KAREN: Uh-huh, and how many did the President win by?
TOBY: About three-and-a-half million.
KAREN: Yeah.
TOBY: He's got a pretty healthy ego, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home