Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Enough to make me vote Republican

I have a confession to make. I believe in high taxes. I do. I believe a society should be able to provide its citizenry with certain things; and that costs money; and that means taxes. And I don't just believe this as a moral imperative. After about three months of an on-again, off-again relationship (not unlike some girls I can think of at the moment), I'm finally close to finishing Thomas Friedman's The World Is Flat, and Tom is right when he says the only hope for America's future is to actively invest in its citizenry. As the growing economic divide will attest to, a rising tide does not lift all boats, and higher taxes are the best way to avoid a return to the era of robber-barons: not for the purpose of diverting wealth, but for the purpose of funding the means to true meritocracy.

That being said, my perspective has been altered somewhat after getting my biweekly paychecks...or rather, getting a pale shadow of what they should be. For real, right now the government is taking 28% of my money away from me. WTF? I don't even make that much. I particularly enjoy the part where I pay into the Social Security I will obviously never collect. It's enough to make me vote Republican. Lower taxes now!

The next question is: which Republican? We won't go there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home