Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Cowboy, Take Me Apartment Hunting

Right now I'm in the process of trying to find a new apartment. I'm surprised at how difficult it is to find something I really like. I don't think my expectations are all that ridiculous. Two bedrooms. 900 square feet. Hardwood floors. Laundry in-unit. A/C. A kitchen that doesn't look like it hasn't been updated since the 70s. I've been flip-flopping on where a garage should sit on my list of priorities. A lot of my friends don't have garage parking. But last night I got into my car and it was -12 degrees out, and she barely turned over when I put the key in.

I've been struck by how similar apartment-hunting is to dating. Over the weekend some of my female friends told me, "We're going to find you a girlfriend." Good luck with that. There are so many duds out there that you try to get excited when you finally find one that meets even half your criteria, but once the initial excitement wears off you start to seriously ask yourself, "Could I really commit to this person/place/thing?" I mean, it's got radiators. Who wants that?

I'm also surprised at how many realtors basically phone-in their Internet ads.
Would it really be that difficult to post some pictures of the apartment online? The answer is no, it would not. Do you really think it's worth wasting my and your time to show me a place I could have told from a few pictures was clearly beneath me? I mean, it's got radiators. Who wants that?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home