Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Aragorn says: There Is Always Hope!

Oh, yeah. Something needs to be said about the whole "There has never been anything false about hope." There's no denying it was a stupid thing for Hillary to say, especially for someone who has built her campaign on how seasoned and experienced a politician she is. She walked into that one, and Barack brought it down on her.

But the line would inspire me more if I hadn't already heard it from Jimmy Smits on The West Wing three years ago. And if I was better informed, I could probably tell you where he ripped it off from, too. Granted, Jimmy Smits' character was clearly based on Obama, so I suppose it's only fair that Obama take a little from him. I just hope at the nominating convention he tells me how I should vote for the person who shares my ideals, my hopes, my dreams; vote for the person who most embodies what I believe we need to keep our nation strong and free.

Anyway, here's the full line from West Wing:

"I am here to tell you that hope is real. In a time of trials, in a world of challenges, hope is real. In a country where families go without health care, where some go without food - some don't even have a home to speak of- hope is real. In a time of global chaos and instability, where our faiths collide as often as our weapons, hope is real. Hope is what gives us the courage to take on our greatest challenges, to move forward together.

"We live in cynical times; I know that. But hope is not up for debate. There is a such a thing as false science; there is such a thing as false promises; I'm sure that I'll have my share of false starts in this campaign. But there is no such thing as false hope. There is only hope."

Also, counterpoint: I would suggest George Bush's belief that history will vindicate him would qualify as a false hope. As I said, sweeping broad statements and purple prose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home