Thursday, February 14, 2008

Mama Don't Love Me No More

I recently received an email from my mother in which she basically called me a shithead. She didn’t use that exact word, but she came close (“disappointing,” “nasty,” “thoughtless,” etc). I don’t really know how to respond to it. And I’m not even talking emotionally here, although that’s certainly an aspect that deserves further examination. But in terms of content. How do reply when your cancer-diagnosed mother calls you a piece of shit? Do you agree with her? Certainly it’s an accusation that’s been leveled against me enough times that I’m in no particular position to deny it (when your own mother starts saying it, the evidence is mounting). Yet somehow agreeing with it seems trite. At the same time, “No, you’re wrong, and here’s why” also doesn’t feel appropriate. I’m at a loss on this one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Swami Says said...

Dude, first of all your mom sounds kind of 'gangster' to call her own son a shithead. Second, what'd you do to provoke such gangsterism?

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home