Thursday, March 20, 2008

Life After Law School

This is my favorite time of year. Spring. The weather is getting warmer. The sun is shining. March Madness is upon us. I'm moving into a new apartment. Usually I come on here to either mock something, complain about something, or moan about something (usually DG*--what a sissy). But today I've come here to tell you that life is good. I believe I'm experiencing what other people refer to as a "good mood." Most peculiar. What is this feeling?

* We're elevating her to an acronym.

I think part of it might have to do with this being the first spring in four years when I wasn't in law school. In law school, there are no such things as "good moods" or whatever you Earth people call them. There are only varying degrees of bad moods. Grumpy. Surly. Vengeful. It may sound silly, but it's true. Consider: a friend of mine once said, "People in the outside world can't comprehend the soul-crushing reality that is law school." Or, to put it another way: I may not understand what it's like to be black, but black people don't understand what it's like to be a law student. Law school had me in a desperate, despondent mood pretty much all the time, and I probably didn't treat some people very well. All I can say is: that wasn't me, that was the law school talking, baby. I had a fever, and the only cure was more booze.

No more. On Christmas Eve 2001 my dog got an infection that basically caused his entire left eye to swell up within 24 hours. Even though we got him to the vet and he got over it, he was never really the same after that. Thinner. Tired. More worn. I'm afraid law school might have done something similar to me--that, even though the experience is over, it took something out of me, took something from me, that I'll never get back. Maybe it was something I never had to begin with.

But I've come here to tell those of you who are still blossoming lawyers-to-be: right now, at least, it looks like there IS life after law school. There are one or two glaring omissions in my life right now; but overall, I don't feel like complaining. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. "La donna e mobile, qual piuma al vento, muta d’accento e di pensiero." --Giuseppe Verdi, Rigoletto.

P.S. Kevin Love can kiss my ass.

1 Comments:

Anonymous LawyerDude said...

Give it another year and you'll be feeling even better.

10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home