Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I Think I'm Jealous Of Your Girlfriend

My parents were in town over the weekend. On Saturday my father and I probably the closest thing to "The Talk" we've ever had. It went something like this:

1. I'm single.
2. I have female friends.
3. I should probably be banging some of them.

Perhaps unfairly, this annoyed me. Superficial dating columns notwithstanding, sexual attraction and personal compatibility do not a couple make. More importantly, I felt it was something of an archaic examination of the male-female relationship. Consider:

1. I'm single.
2. I have male friends.
3. Should I be banging some of them, too? (Who said I'm not?)

My female friends are important to me. I can be more open with them, and, because I don't rely on them for sex, I don't have to be as tolerant of their feminist bullshit.

My dad's concern is that I'm nearing the point where "most of the good ones will be taken." Hey, I'm looking around, and it looks like a lot of the mediocre ones have already been taken, too. But of all the things I'll ever do, this is the one I want to get right. I'd rather make no decision than the wrong one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Blue Sky said...

Fatherly advise can always be so great. Especially when they try to live vicariously through your singledom.

I think making the right choices is key in choosing your mate. Chemistry is very important, and partnerships should never be based solely upon physical attraction nor mutual interests. I've met plenty of women whom I share both, yet have no serious interest in. Good post!

3:05 PM  
Anonymous Mike said...

Others besides your dad might say that the availability of "good ones" will not diminish--cue fast times quote "i keep getting older..."--while your own male attractiveness as a big-money law man is only on the rise. http://www.slate.com/id/2188684/

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home