The End of Patriotism as a Bludgeon
Just came from the Obama rally in St Paul. Here are some interesting things I learned about him that I didn't know before:
1. Barack Obama wants you to go hungry (no food allowed).
2. Barack Obama wants you to go thirsty (no drinks allowed).
3. Barack Obama wants you to get rained on (no umbrellas allowed).
4. Barack Obama hates punctuality.
5. Judging by how the floor seating was arranged, Barack Obama hates feng shui, and probably Asians, too.
If this is how he is gonna run his White House, I'm voting for the cranky white guy with the bad ideas.
But seriously; in some ways I was in utter awe of the event; in other ways I was a little disappointed (See related problems in: Exceeds Expectations). "The time has come for change. We owe it to our children. We owe it to our country." Surely "we owe it to ourselves," too? What! No rhythm? No cadence? Shame on you, Jon Favreau.
The woman who introduced him was maybe the biggest disappointment. She gave such an ordinary speech, in what could have been such an extraordinary moment. George Bush is a douche. John McCain is a douche. I get it. Where were the politics of unity? Where was the line that nothing could divide a country so long as it believes in itself? You don't get a second chance to introduce Barack Obama.