Friday, June 27, 2008

We Have Nothing To Fear But Fear Itself, And Spiders, And Werewolves...

At the wedding I found out one of my friends went skydiving recently. Skydiving? As they say in fencing, what's the point? I'm already on the ground. Why would I take an airplane just to get back to it? I'll save myself the trip.

My friend said it was about "conquering his fear." Hmm. What exactly are you so afraid of that you feel the need to go to ridiculous lengths to conquer it? Regardless, I think people who talk about "conquering their fear" have a poor understanding of fear. Fear is like pain: it may be no fun when you have it, but it's your body's way of telling you: "Watch out -- bad shit ahead!"

You want to conquer your fear, I suggest you try it without a safety net.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home