Friday, July 11, 2008

I Need A Change

THIS guy is so fucking money and he doesn't even know it:



I'm starting to get bored at work. I know I've only been doing this for less than a year, but I'm already starting to get bored at work. Is that supposed to happen? When I first started I was anxious, yes, about being a noob, but also felt some exhilaration at the intellectual challenges ahead. Can I do this? Now that thrill is gone, taken from me by the cruel hand of my own experience. I can tell you within five minutes with 90% certainty whether the case law I'm looking for is out there or not. Chances are it'll take me fifteen minutes to find exactly what we're looking for, or two hours to come up with zilch. There's no longer the challenge of the unknown, the thrill of not knowing. Next, please. I need a change.

One of the guys I'm buddies with at work just had his seven-year anniversary in the department. Seven years. Seven years of doing the same thing. I don't think I could do this for seven years. I'm having a hard enough time making it through one.

I've realized jobs are not unlike relationships. At first you're excited, and maybe even a little nervous, about the uncharted possibilities here; but after most of those possibilities have been chartered you realize, "Yeah it was fun, and I definitely learned some stuff I can take with me, but there isn't a whole lot to keep me here."

My dad recently returned from a conference in Germany, where he ran into my old boss. Apparently she told him, "Tell [Law Revue] that if he ever wants it his old job is waiting for him." I told him to tell her to make an offer next time. Or would that just recreate my current problem?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home