Sunday, August 24, 2008

It's Not Fair!

Today I went to the Minnesota State Fair for the first time. Five Augusts I've lived in Minnesota, and this is the first time I've been to the State Fair. Frankly I don't see what all the fuss is about. Here are some things I learned:

1. The Bible mentions St Paul, but it doesn't mention Minneapolis.
2. Pretty much any food can be fried and/or put on a stick.
3. Yes, 17-year-old girls are hotter.

After the Fair I got suckered in to going down to Minneapolis proper to hit up the bar scene. Yes, "suckered," I tell you! One of my friends may think I'm pretty mad at him right now. I'm not. I'm mad at myself; mad at myself for agreeing to something I knew I wouldn't enjoy, and all out of the notion that it's what other people do for fun. I've never been like other people; I've never enjoyed what they enjoy. It's certainly my loss more than my gain. But it's the way I'm wired. I can't pretend I enjoy going to random clubs and dancing with Miscellaneous Girl in the dimming hope we might establish some sort of meaningful connection. I can't pretend D.G. is so utterly replaceable, even though she is. I didn't really enjoy it when I was 21, and I certainly don't enjoy it now that I'm 26. I can't be something I'm not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home