Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Change of Greenery

Minnesota weather is pretty ridiculous. When I left it was 80 degrees and sunny, and a week later it's dropped to 60 degrees and overcast. Giuseppe Verdi once said, "Donna e mobile, qual piuma al vento, muta d’accento e di pensiero," but if he'd ever been to St Paul he probably would have said it was MINNESOTA that was fickle.

Minneapolis-St Paul is one of my favorite places in the summer, but I'm not sure how many more winters I can endure. In May my contract at work expires; I can keep working here if I want, or I can transfer to a different office. Here are some of The Contenders:

1. Chicago, IL. My company has a huge office in Chicago. I grew up there, so I've already got a lot of friends there, and a history. There are a lot of things I like about Chicago, but I've always felt it was a little too big; a city that marginalizes you, rather than embraces you.

2. Ann Arbor, MI. There are both advantages and disadvantages to living in the same town as one's parents. This option was more attractive before everyone I knew from high school left.

3. Portland, OR. The Land-Port, the Port on the Land. My cuz already lives out there and my dad has an office in the city, so he flies out every few weeks. My parents have become oddly obsessed with this city (it's so green!). I've only been there once but it struck me as being remarkably similar to Minneapolis.

4. Seattle, WA. When you really want to move to Portland, but wish they had more Starbucks.

5. The East Coast. I don't really like the East Coast. But a lot of my friends from college live out there, and it was nice to live in a region where 90% of what you wanted was within a four hour drive. Possibilities include Boston and D.C.

6. Somewhere in the Montana wilderness. Some days when I'm just so sick of living in society I feel like pulling a Kurtz or, less psychotically, a Thoreau; I'd sell all my earthly possessions and move into a log cabin in the woods. I'd use my savings and investments to buy every book I'd ever want to read, and I'd spend my days choppin' wood and wrestlin' bears. I'd grow a big bushy beard and learn to speak with the animals. I'd raise a pack of wolf-cubs after their mother was shot by a hunter. By Jove, I'd have adventures! Then I remember if I did all that, I'd miss the last Harry Potter movie.

7. Canada. If John McCain becomes President...

8. Wasilla, AK. I hear they raise "good folk."

My company also has an office in London, which is exciting, but I think you need to be trained in UK law or something..."barristers," I think the Brits call them. Sort of like how they refer to "tourists" as "poofs."

4 Comments:

Blogger Swami Says said...

If you have enough money in your life already to have to option to sell all of your things and live in the wilderness, then you need to give me a job. You should do that though. I would if I could. But if I sold all my things all I'd have is a two lottery tickets and a pack of skittles.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous? said...

You could always move to N.O.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous lawrevue said...

Funny.

Mart, I would let you live with me, but I think I saw a movie recently about two guys who live in the wilderness together. I forget how it turns out.

6:34 PM  
Blogger Blue Sky said...

You forgot about sunny LA. We have no winters here, and we also refer to tourists as poofs. No, wait... I refer to the locals as poofs, never mind.

7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home