Thursday, December 04, 2008

The Cute Mentee Cumeth Cometh

A couple of people have asked me what ever became of the Cute Mentee. I'll tell you. She's engaged. I figured she would be. I figured my father was right - the good ones are mostly taken, and she's a little too good not to be taken. At first I prided myself on surreptitiously checking her hand to see if she had a ring. But I was looking at her right hand. Apparently the engagement ring should go on the left? Who knew? Certainly not me.

Nevertheless, things are getting a little weird between us. Here are some examples:

1. She's been spending the past few weeks slowly decorating my desk for Christmas. No, that is not part of her job description. I don't mind it, but it seems a little weird. Someone even asked me, "Why is [Cute Mentee] decorating your desk?" To which I quipped, "I think the real question is, why aren't MORE people decorating my desk?" Awkwardness averted.

2. I talk to her for at least a half-hour every day, and she hasn't once mentioned her fiance. I feel like she's excessively avoiding the topic. In the company newsletter she said she and her fiance were looking to buy a house, and when I asked in what neighborhood, and I quote, "you guys" ended up buying it, she responded "I bought it off 7th street. I'm redoing the kitchen." It was like the polar opposite of the royal We.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home